Home, Home on the Range

>> Tuesday, April 1, 2008


We're home. We're safe. We're tired.


Here's the rest of our story.

After staying Sunday evening in Rawlins, we awoke to news that I-80 was open. However, it was still windy and snowy. Not wanting to jump the gun, we waited about an hour or so before packing up the kiddos and heading out.

Darling Alex had broken my cell phone Sunday evening, and Kurt's phone can't roam because it is paid for by his school. So we were without phones, but figured we'd be okay and that we'd call from a pay phone when we got to Laramie or Fort Collins to let our families know we were safe.

I dropped an IM to my mom (that I later found out she didn't get) as we were leaving and then we hit the road.

Sixteen miles out of Rawlins we came to a dead standstill. There had been another horrible accident and the road was closed ahead of us and behind us. We sat, locked in traffic for SIX hours. That was delightful. REALLY. It was like one of those nightmares where you can't run...only we couldn't drive. Thank goodness for our DVD player. That thing is worth its weight in gold! The kids were awesome though. There were very few complaints and NO fighting. They win a prize of some sort...

Once the accident was cleared, we were escorted to Laramie at the blazing speed of 35 mph by a Wyoming state trooper. That 96 mile drive took us about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Approaching the exit at Laramie, we made the decision to cut through to Fort Collins via Highway 287 (which was a good choice...better conditions) rather than following I-80 to Cheyenne, and called our families (who by then were on full-blown panic mode) as soon as we could get to a pay phone.

We got home around midnight. Safe, sound and sleepy.

Thanks to everyone for your concern and prayers, and apologies for random circumstances and kids who break phones. :o)

Love ya!

Our lovely view
(taken by me...standing behind our van in the freezing wind)

Pretty happy...all things considered!

Monkey Boy -- Todd climbed all over the van

Tell us how you really feel!

Our gourmet lunch

6 remarks:

Sandra April 1, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Oh man 6 hours, I feel for you! I think the longest we have been stuck is like two hours and that was painful enough! I can't say more too about DVD players. Well I can say that I don't think I'll ever travel a great distance without one. I'm glad your all back and safe!

kanaboke April 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

that is soooo crazy!! I can't even imagine having to sit in traffic for SIX whole hours...I mean that would be at least 3 nursing sessions...hehehe! Yes, I'm sure y'all wanted to "read" that. Anyhoo, glad you guys are back safe & sound...and now, if only SPRING would stay for Good! Utah winters drag on FOREVER!!

Mother of the Wild Boys April 1, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

Welcome home, I'm glad ya'll are safe. :)

Sean April 1, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

What an adventure! Glad you made it home. We're headed on a spring break road trip with no dvd player. (The pioneers didn't have dvds, right?) Wish us luck!

Trent Megan and Kids April 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

Yeah glad you made it home okay. I can't even picture 6 hours in a car, no place to eat no place to potty. I think that would be torture!

Kellee April 2, 2008 at 10:06 AM  

How did your kids manage 6 hours without fighting? That would NOT have happened for us. We would have had major problems and races around the van to keep Luke entertained. I'm amazed! Glad you're safe at home.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP