Mouthguard? But I'm not a football player!
>> Wednesday, April 30, 2008
I went to the dentist today.
The good news is...
I have clean, healthy, cavity free teeth and healthy gums. (Yay! Go Me!)
The bad news is...
I grind my teeth in my sleep.
I had a couple of tiny chipped rough spots on my front teeth. Crazy thing was, I had no idea how I'd gotten them. My dentist (who is a great guy in my ward) picked up on it right away. He asked me if I ground my teeth. I said "no...not that I know of". He looked at my teeth for a minute and noticed some wear on my lower front teeth. He had me push my lower jaw forward and move it from side to side while he watched. He noticed quickly that when I moved my jaw a certain way, my upper teeth fit into the worn spots on my lower teeth just like a nice little puzzle! While engaging in my fantastic talent of sleep grinding, I must have "missed" and chipped my own teeth. Dr. E says I've probably been doing this for several years. I'm really glad he caught it before I wore my teeth down to little nubbins!
The treatment plan consists of a lovely night time mouthguard and some composite to rebuild the worn spots on my teeth.
Anyone want to have a slumber party? It'll be like middle school...I'll bring my retainer and headgear!

8 remarks:
Hahahahaha. J/K I think my mom had to wear one of those for a while. That might make kissin in bed a little hard. Good Luck saving the teeth!
Looks like fun. Can you imagine the slobber? Nice soggy pillow to wake up on. Good Luck!
I wore one after my braces were off and the one thing I hated was the awful morning breath! I haven't worn it since high school...yuk!
I have one of those - and the slobber is a problem. Good luck!!
My mom has one. When I call her in the morning and catch her still in bed she sounds like she's drunk. I also grind, but I'm too cheap to buy the guard.
LOL My hubby has to wear one at night too for the same reasons.
I had to wear one of those after my braces too...for some reason the slobbering hasn't gone away, even though it's been over a decade! :)
Must run in the family...Travis does it, too. However, he saved $ by just using a mouth guard purchased at the local sports store. Works good. Does it keep you awake???
Post a Comment