A Short(ish) Story

>> Tuesday, September 9, 2008

~Prologue~
She loved the shoes. Black Madeline Stuart pumps with delicate detailing, a cute strap and just the right heel. A perfect addition to her new skirt and top. They were super cute and she had scored a screaming deal on them. Ross was awesome! She was having a lucky streak there. She purchased them and vowed to return soon to see what other bonuses she could find.

~Chapter 1~
After wearing the shoes ONCE, she tossed them in a shopping bag (for reference purposes) with some items she was planning to return/exchange and headed back to Ross. She left her shoes and other items at the customer service counter, per Ross return/exchange policy, accepted her claim ticket for them and ventured into the store with high hopes.

She didn't find any more cute shoes, but she did find a skirt to replace one she was hoping to exchange. She approached the checkout, handed the cashier her claim ticket, proceeded with the exchange for the skirt and informed the cashier she had just brought the shoes along for reference. The cashier handed her the bag containing her new skirt and the beloved shoes and she headed for the exit.

~Chapter 2~
Just then, she realized she had forgotten to look for something else.

She turned and said to the cashier, "I need to do a bit more shopping. May I take my bag back into the store?"

"No. You need to leave it here. Just sit it there and I'll take care of it when I'm done with this customer."

In her naivete, she did as she was told.

~Chapter 3~
She spent a few more minutes in the store and then returned to get her bag. She said to the cashier, "I just need my bag, I didn't find what I wanted."

The cashier cast a frantic glance toward the empty spot on the counter. Stunned silence followed.

She raised her eyebrows and said, "Didn't you put it behind the counter?"

To which the cashier replied, "Oh my heck! I'll bet that pregnant lady with the boots took it!"

"Are you serious?!?" she exclaimed.

"Um...yeah. I was having trouble getting the security tag off her boots and she set her bags here and..."

MORE STUNNED SILENCE.

She did her best to gather her wits about her, to resist screaming like a raving lunatic.

"Well. I would hope if your store policy doesn't allow customers to carry their purchased items back into the store, along with their reciept, that you would at least put those items in a safe place while that customer was possibly spending more money in your store."

At this point another associate who had witnessed the scene bolted for the parking lot in a futile attempt to track down the 'pregnant boot lady'.

While the chase ensued, another associate proclaimed, "This happens more often than you would believe."

"Fantastic," she thought.

Out of breath, the track star associate returned and said, "I couldn't see her. Let me go check the video to see what happened ."

Indeed.

She waited. She was fuming. Standing there, being ignored by all associates, except for one who pushed a loaded Z rail past her and whispered, "I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, me too," she muttered...mostly to herself.

The video detectives returned and confirmed that, clearly, 'pregnant boot lady' had absconded with her skirt and beloved shoes.

~Chapter 4~
"Well, why don't you just give us your name and number? Then we'll call you IF she brings them back," they said.

"No. I don't think so. I'm going to get another skirt off the rack and since I know there are no other shoes like that in my size, you are going to refund my money for the shoes," she stated, grateful that she still had the reciept for the shoes in her purse.
"I'll also leave you my name and number. I'd appreciate a call if 'pregnant boot lady' returns the bag. I would really like my shoes back."

They had no choice but to agree. She left the store shoeless and blazing mad.

~Epilogue~
She called the store manager. Explained the situation. Expressed her extreme disatisfaction. Ranted and raved.

Then she listened as the manager apologized, promised she would discuss the problem with her employees and vowed to find the shoes at another store.

Several days passed. The phone rang. Her hear leapt...then sank. The beloved shoes were nowhere to be found.

Additionally, 'pregnant boot lady' had not found it important to return the bag that was not hers.

She accepted the manager's apologies again, along with an offer for store credit.

She wondered if 'pregnant boot lady' was enjoying the perfect shoes. She secretly hoped that her pregnant feet were too swollen to fit into them. And also that she was having trouble sleeping at night...and not just because she was pregnant!

~The End~

12 remarks:

Trent Megan and Kids September 9, 2008 at 9:04 PM  

'Ohh nooo", the angry lady's friends groaned with despair. They were hoping beyond hope that this story would have a good ending. Hopefully Ross associates have added a new policy to prevent this from happening again!

kanaboke September 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

oh my gosh, are you KIDDING ME!???!!! I hope Ross AND dishonest Pregnant Boot Lady burn in Utah Heck!! :-) My heart is breaking for you (into a million pieces I might add), and to think, they couldn't even find it at any other store....UGH...I spit on you Ross..I spit on you (hehehehe)

Scott and Amme September 10, 2008 at 7:50 AM  

Oh, how sad. You would think that with all their stores they could have found you your perfect shoes! I am sorry.

Cami September 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM  

My blood was boiling as I read your post! This kind of stuff seriously ticks me off. I feel your pain! Remind me to tell you about my Target experience sometime. :)

Lori September 10, 2008 at 9:47 AM  

I wish I would have been the pregnant boot lady. Then I would have some great boots and you would have some awesome shoes. Your story was way fun to read and very entertaining.

Michele September 10, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

Very entertaining story but I still would kick book lady's butt if I ever found her!!!

Shell September 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

Perhaps pregnant boot lady's water broke five minutes after leaving the store and after thirty-six hours of intense back labor she gave birth to twins and her Ross purchases along with someone else's beloved shoes are still buried in the trunk of her car under three reams of post-pregnancy advertisements for all things baby and when she finally digs deep enough to find them she (like the upstanding citizen we all hope her to be) will find the beautiful shoes and in redfaced shame will return them to Ross with her sincerest of apologies.

I hope. Because I know how very difficult it is to find shoes you even like, let alone love. By the way, you are a wonderful author, if that's any consolation! :P

Steph's In Life September 10, 2008 at 4:08 PM  

I think I saw her "working" on the corner of 400 North, by the KFC. I will go check to see if she is breaking in your new shoes...or actually the shoes you never did buy. Pissin' vinegar is all I can say.

Steph's In Life September 10, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Oh I mean the shoes you bought but never did wear. Still pissin' vinegar though. More Primary stories coming soon.

Mother of the Wild Boys September 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM  

You are a seriously talented writer. I love this!

Birgitta September 11, 2008 at 12:07 AM  

I hate to say it since you were so flaming mad...but that story made me laugh! What awesome writing Marianne!

Sorry about the shoes :(

Marianne September 13, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

She smiled and lauged as she read her friends comments. They were so clever...and funny!

In a small way, their support helped ease her distress.

She was grateful to have them all!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP