Copycat

>> Thursday, February 19, 2009

Watch out, Costa Vida. We're on to you.

Here's the recipe for our Copycat Burritos.

You'll need:
Burrito size tortillas
Whole pinto beans
Cilantro Lime rice
Sweet Pork or Chicken
Green chile enchilada sauce
Colby Jack cheese
Lettuce and pico
(I bought the pico pre-made...lazy, huh?)
Fresh Mango
(cause we like it! )

Sweet Pork (or chicken):

3-4 lb. Pork Roast
(or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1 cup salsa
1 cup brown sugar

Mix salsa (I pureed it in the blender first...my kids aren't fans of "chunks") and brown sugar. Pour over meat. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. It will be VERY juicy when it's done. Shred the meat while it's still in the crockpot and let it soak up all of the yummy sauciness.

Cilantro Lime Rice:
Add 1/2 bunch of chopped cilantro and the juice of 1 lime per 2 cups of uncooked rice and then cook as usual.
(you may want to decrease your water by about 1/4 cup to compensate for the added lime juice...I didn't do that and our rice was a bit sticky)

Heat the beans and enchilada sauce.

Fill tortillas with beans, rice and pork. Top filling with enchilada sauce and cheese. Roll securely. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and broil until melted. Garnish with lettuce, pico and mango.

Enjoy!

They were SO tasty!

Thanks to Kim for the sweet pork recipe...it provided the inspiration for this copycat adventure!

6 remarks:

Michele February 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

Those look great. I personally think Costa Vida is better than Cafe Rio. Do you happen to have their ranch dressing recipe? That is like crack for me! I LOVE it!

Lori February 20, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

Yummy! When can I come over for some. It sounds wonderful.

Cami February 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

Thanks for posting this. Eric is addicted to the sweet pork burritos. This will save us some money :)

Sandra February 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

I have a similar recipe for these but It calls for a can of coke in the crockpot. I haven't made them for a long time because I got a fatty or bad roast or something but it just made us sick last time we had it. You know how you don't want to eat something again after it made you sick. :(

Mother of the Wild Boys February 20, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

Yummy...I'll have to try this sometime. :)

Trina February 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

I'm drooling... This one's going on next weeks list! Thanks for sharing. :)

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP