Crockpot Sunday

>> Sunday, February 15, 2009

Have I mentioned that I am not a fan of the 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. church schedule? And that I don't enjoy walking in the door at 4:15 wondering what to feed my "falling-down-hungry" family?

Enter my trusty friend, the crockpot.
(I think it needs a name...any suggestions?)
It doesn't really solve the church schedule crisis, but it rocks the dinner dilemma!

Therefore, I have officially declared 2009 to be The Year of Crockpot Sundays at our house.

We've had 7 Sundays of yummy, ready-when-we-walk-in-the-door-dinners. So far, so good!

What are your favorite crockpot recipes? 45 weeks left in 2009 = a lot of crockpot meals...I'm going to need some help here! :o)

11 remarks:

Michele February 16, 2009 at 12:40 AM  

I look forward to seeing what others post as I essentially have 2 meals...potatoes, carrots, onions and take your pick of chicken or a roast. Add 2-3 cans of gravy, mushroom soup or potato soup and you are good to go.

I also like cooking chicken with some cream cheese and taco seasoning with enough water to keep it wet. Then I shred up the chicken once it is tender and let it soak. (This can all be done in less than 3 hours if needed.) I then put the chicken on a bed of broken tortilla chips, sprinkle some cheese, cover with lettuce and whatever other salad items including dressing and we are good to go.
mmm, I am making myself hungry. Not good at 12:40 AM!

Cami February 16, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

I LOVE 1:00 church! We had dinner every Sunday...because there actually time to fix it.

So, here's my favorite.

Creamy Crock pot Chicken

4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg. dry Italian dressing mix
1/4 c. water
8 oz. cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can mushrooms

Put chicken in the crock pot. Mix water and soup mix, spoon over chicken. Let it cook for four hours on low.
Once you get home from church, mix the cream cheese, soup and mushrooms in a saucepan and warm over the stove. Once it's creamy, add the chicken (I cut mine into small pieces, or shred) and liquid until you have the consistency you like. Serve over pasta or rice. This is easy, hearty and everyone likes it!

Sandra February 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

I'm not big into 1:00 church either. It's hard for naps and I feel like I'm waiting all day. I Love the creamy chicken recipe that Cami left, very yummy. I also like to do Roast and Brown gravy. Just put your roast in and add a packet of brown gravy and onion soup mix, pour one cup of water over it and cook on low for 7 hours or 10 hours if your roast is frozen. Then you have a tender roast with the gravy for your mashed potatoes. :)

Berly February 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

Sweet Pork -
5lb pork roast
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup salsa

Cook all day. Cut apart pork and either make a salad or taco. Yummy!! You can also do the same with chicken breasts ( I use about 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
YUM!!

Marianne February 16, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

Yummy! Can't wait to try these. Keep 'em coming...

Lori February 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

Okay so you already know my recipes for the crock pot so I am just checking back often to get everyones recipe ideas.
So far they sound good. But I am curious, are there crock pot recipes that are good for you?

Lori February 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Shel,
Your chicken sounds awesome. I think we will try that after we get chicken on sale at Reams. :)

Trent Megan and Kids February 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

So here is a yummy crock pot recipe that is good for you. I believe that it is 6 points per taco, Weight watchers.

Chicken Lime Tacos

1-2 full frozen chicken breasts
Lime Juice (I think that I still have yours Marianne:)
1 tbsp Chilli powder
salsa
corn

put chicken in and put 1/2 cup lime juice in crock pot. stir in chili powder and let cook on low for 4 hours. Then shred chicken and add a can of corn and half container of salsa into the crock pot. Stir and cook on high for 1-2 hours if you need longer time cook on low. You can then dish into some tortillas with lettuce tomatoes cheese and sour cream. If you want to make it healthier don't use cheese and opt for whole wheat tortillas. But I like to go for taste and even with the white tortillas and cheese it is 6 points per taco. Caution: Very messy but tastes great!

Birgitta February 17, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

I have a few crock pot recipes. I will have to email them to you.

Jenn and Rich February 17, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

I feel your pain we have 2-5 church. So we do the same thing. I have a breakfast casserole crockpot meal. I like breakfast for dinner sometimes. we did this one sunday and came home watched a movie together in the family room and i made smoothies for everyone. The girls still talk about that sunday. And ask to do it again. Another really easy one is chicken breasts with a can of chicken broth and a packet of taco seasoning. It's good on rice, salad, andeven on tortillas. Let me know if you want the breakfast recipe. good luck with these. I might be stealing a few. I've had the creamy chicken one that is really yummy.

Adrianne February 17, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

I love the ease of the crockpot, but sometimes I feel like I am just making a different flavored chicken to be served over rice. But we do love french dip sandwiches, pork enchiladas, and the occasional chicken with sauce. There is a blog called
crockpot365.blogspot.com she makes some different and unique things in the crockpot. It is complete with pictures so you get an idea of what you are getting. Best of luck let us all know if you find some good ones.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP